1. Accept yourself. Accept who you are. Love all of your flaws and imperfections. They make you beautiful and unique. Before you can truly find yourself, you need to accept yourself exactly the way you are.
2. Start relying on yourself. Trusting others is important and it’s always helpful to rely on others for help sometimes. But, learn to rely on yourself first. Trust your ability to get the job done yourself. This goes for emotional support, too. It’s a beautiful feeling to be able to emotionally and physically help yourself.
3. Overcome bad habits. Stop smoking. Stop drinking alcohol. Stop chewing your fingernails. Stop doubting yourself. Stop all those nasty habits that you KNOW are bad for you. Start believing in yourself. Start living a healthy life. Start overcoming obstacles and fears.
4. Rediscover your values. Our personal values represents our individual essence of who we are. Values tend to guide every aspect of our lives. You need to rediscover your personal values to really be able to find yourself. What's important to you? Some common values are health and well-being, patience, comfort, growth, fearlessness, acceptance, exploration, family, friendship, commitment, selflessness, independence, confidence, consistency, kindness, leadership, stability, maturity, loyalty, motivation, optimism, passion, spirituality, wealth, power and many more. Sit down one night and make a list. It will help you be a better you.
5. Learn to be alone. It's okay to be alone sometimes. Some people enjoy the company of others and depend on it. You need to learn to love your own company. Some fun things to do by yourself are go to the movies, go to your favorite restaurant and sit alone at home and watch TV. There are so many different activities you can do all on your own and enjoy it.
6. Find a passion. Writing? Hiking? Skiing? Boxing? Painting? Music? Find a passion that you enjoy and don't ever let go of it. Do what makes you happy. Your happiness is important.
7. Let go of the need to satisfy everyone. You can't always make everyone happy. You shouldn't inconvenience yourself to satisfy every single person you come across. PUT YOURSELF FIRST.
8. Ditch the negative energy. Surround yourself with positive energy and optimism. No ones needs bad juju in their life. Say goodbye, whether that be people, possessions, or your job.
9. Spread kindness. Try to achieve one act of kindness a day. It can be as simple as opening a door for someone.
10. Be selfless and selfish. Concern yourself with the needs of others and their wishes, but also be concerned with your own personal profit and well-being.
11. Try new things. Don't be scared. Overcoming your fears makes you grow tremendously as a person. Don't think about it. Don't give yourself time to talk yourself out of it. Have you always wanted to jump out of a plane? Do it. Have you wanted to climb a mountain? DO IT. Have you always wanted to make a spontaneous trip to Paris? There's no better time than now.
12. Be open to change. Change isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes change can be eye-opening, rewarding and healthy. It can give you a whole new perspective on life and of yourself.
13. Cleanse your life. End toxic relationships, straighten out your schedule and obligations, and declutter your mind. There are so many beneficial ways to cleanse your life, and this is very important in your journey to find your new self. Throw away that raggedy dress from high school, wear those skinny jeans, find inspiration, and take a break from technology. Don't wait until tomorrow. Do it now. Start today.
14. Know who you are. In order to find yourself, you have to know yourself. Find the new you. It won't happen overnight, but if you put your mind to it, it will happen.
Olivia Howe. 25 years old. Author, Blogger, and Reviewer. 3 cats. 1 dog. TV Show fanatic. Lover of all things makeup, animals, books, The Bachelor, blogging, sloths, lifting at the gym and salads.